Since 2018, the Australian Bureau of Statistics has published data on Victorian businesses by sector. The latest data shows there were 44,960 creative businesses operating in Victoria by the end of 2021. Read on for a snapshot of the business landscape across the state.
- 44,960 Total cultural and creative businesses operating in Victoria at the end of 2021
- 2.8% Annual increase in number of creative industry businesses over 4 years to June 2021
- Largest % of new creative businesses jewellery and silverware manufacturing, internet publishing and broadcasting, motion picture and video distribution
- Highest % of creative business exits, libraries and archives, motion picture and video distribution, free-to-air television broadcasting and other publishing (except software, music and internet).
- 60% of non-employing Victorian creative businesses (sole traders etc)
* This increase was driven by growth in the number of creative businesses with an annual turnover of up to $200,000. A very large majority (95%) of businesses in the cultural and creative economy have a turnover of less than $2 million.
Learn more about business activity at ABS Counts of Australian Businesses