Unlocking Capacity provides established, independent performing arts producers with support to broaden their skills and expand their practice.
If you’re a professional producer, you can receive a multi-year grant of up to $35,000 per annum for up to three years to fund targeted skills development activities that “unlock” your capacity, build your capabilities, extend your networks and help you maintain a sustainable practice.
This program is part of the Victorian Independent Producers Initiative (VIPI), a Victorian Government initiative delivered by Creative Victoria in partnership with Theatre Network Australia. The Victorian Independent Producers Initiative aims to strengthen the independent performing arts sector by supporting Victorian independent producers and upskilling the artists and organisations who engage their services.
Who can apply?
You can apply for this program if:
- you’re an established Victorian-based independent producer of performing arts with a minimum three years of experience in independent producing
- at least 50% of your professional time is dedicated to your independent producing practice and 50% of your producing portfolio features Victorian artists.
We encourage applications from producers who identify as First Peoples, are culturally and linguistically diverse, living with a disability or regionally based.
Who can I talk to?
- Before applying, please contact Wen-Juenn Lee at Theatre Network Australia to discuss your application.
- For any technical questions related to the application process or accessing the DJPR Grants Portal, please contact the Arts Development Team
- For help with translations please call the Translating and Interpreting Service
- Visit the Translating and Interpreting website
Guidelines and tools
How can I apply?
After you apply
Once you submit your application on the Department of Jobs, Precincts and Regions Portal you’ll receive an email acknowledgement.
Our Grants team will then check that your application meets all the eligibility criteria, and we’ll assess it against the published aims and criteria.
You’ll be notified by email of the outcome approximately 12 weeks after the published closing date.
If your funding application is successful, you’ll receive a funding agreement outlining the conditions for funding, payment information and reporting requirements.
Notification of funding outcomes
There’s high a level of demand for Creative Victoria funding, so we recommend that you plan for contingencies if your application is unsuccessful (e.g., other funding sources). Please don’t make commitments based on the assumption that you’ll receive funding until you’ve received written confirmation of your final funding outcome.
Funding recommendations are subject to approval by the Minister for Creative Industries. Feedback on your application is provided at Creative Victoria’s discretion and may not be available when you receive notification of your funding outcome.
Payment of grants
Program funding payments are conditional on you meeting your obligations under your Funding Agreement with the Department of Jobs, Precincts and Regions, including fulfilling any payment milestone outcomes or deliverables set out in the Funding Agreement.