The Audience Atlas 2019 reports on Victorians’ appetite for arts and cultural experiences.
Commissioned by Creative Victoria, the study shows who is attending cultural events, who wants to attend more, and why they go. With detailed data on all sectors of the creative industry, the Atlas provides Victorian arts organisations with a powerful tool to help grow their audiences and supporters.
More than 4,000 Victorians (aged 16+) participated in the study from across the general population.
- Victorians love the arts! 93% of Victorians - or 4.4 million people - attend or want to attend arts and cultural events.
- Film is the most popular artform with 9 in 10 Victorians catching a film in the last three years, followed closely by live music and museums.
- People of all ages are attending arts events – 29% are under 34 years of age.
- Art isn’t for the elite. 64% of the market earn less than the average wage.
- Long live TV! Free to air television has the highest rate of media consumption with 9 in 10 Victorians watching at least an hour per week.