Museums Victoria is Australia's largest public museum organisation.
It is responsible for the care of Victoria's state collections (approximately 17 million items).
Museums Victoria operates
- Three public museums - the Melbourne Museum including the IMAX Theatre and Pauline Gandel Children's Gallery; Scienceworks featuring modern interactive exhibition galleries, the Melbourne Planetarium and the Lightning Room; and the Immigration Museum;
- A collection storage facility - Moreland Annexe, and a non-collection storage facility - Simcock Avenue.
Museums Victoria is also a custodian for the World Heritage-listed Royal Exhibition Building.
Key Facts 2016-17
- Total income - $86.9 million
- Value of assets (land, buildings and equipment) - $908 million
- Value of collection - $714.8 million
- Creative Victoria's annual operating appropriation - $41.9 million (including additional project operating funding)
- Creative Victoria's annual capital appropriation - $6.8 million
- Number of attendances - 1.9 million
- Number of website visits - 5.3 million
- Number of participants in youth education programs - 272,731
- Number of employees - 492 full-time equivalent
- Number of members / friends - 20,307
- Number of volunteer hours - 41,692 hours (equivalent to 5,486 full-time days)