In 2016, 40 performing arts organisations received operational funding from Creative Victoria, reporting on employment, volunteering, membership, income and expenditure and attendance and programming.
34 performing arts organisations are located in metropolitan Melbourne.
Creative Victoria provided $16.4 million to performing arts organisations, making up around 6% of their total income.
Total turnover for all performing arts organisations was $288.3 million.
Every $1 provided by Creative Victoria leveraged a further $16.56 income to this sector.
Sources of income
- Earned income was the largest component of revenue at 52%.
- Creative Victoria funding was 6%.
- Other Government funding was 22% of total revenue (including Commonwealth, local and other State funding).
- Private support was 13% of total revenue:
- $7.7 million in cash sponsorship
- $6.2 million of in-kind sponsorship
- $13.8 million from donations
- $9.1 million from philanthropic trusts
Sources of income
- 62% of sector expenditure went towards production costs
- 13% on administration costs
- 14% on marketing costs
Marketing & promotion
Employment and Volunteers
The sector employed 3,434 people.
- Total employment was equivalent to 1,603 full time employees.
- 79% were employed on a casual or part time basis
1,373 volunteers provided 79,794 hours of service
Audience and Members
40 performing arts organisations reported attendances of 2.3 million.
- 79% were from metropolitan Melbourne
- 9% from regional Victoria
- 6% from interstate
- 6% from overseas
Funding from Creative Victoria was equivalent to $7.18 per attendance.
The sector reported 10,475 members/friends.
32 organisations reported 6,585,631 on-line visits.
Performing arts organisations presented 3,649 events:
- 920 productions
- 2,208 workshops
- 135 lectures, seminars and conferences
- 32 exhibitions
- 31 films
- 323 other events
24 of the 40 funded performing arts organisations have collection or education material on-line.
34 of the supported performing arts organisations offered children and youth participation programs, recording 155,864 Victorian student attendances through 6,682 sessions.
37 performing arts organisations offered programming for emerging artists.
A number of organisations offered targeted programming:
- 21 offered programming for children (up to 12 years)
- 33 offered programming for youth (12 to 25 years)
- 13 offered programming for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islanders
- 20 offered programming for people from culturally and linguistically diverse communities
- 17 offered programming for people with a disability
- 14 offered programming for women
- 11 offered programming for senior citizens
The sector reported 39 inbound tours and 117 outbound tours in Victoria, interstate and overseas.