In 2016, 20 Local Government Authorities operating performing arts centres or programs were funded by Creative Victoria. They reported on employment, volunteering, membership, income and expenditure and attendance and programming.
19 of these are located in regional Victoria.
Creative Victoria provided $1.9 million to performing arts centres, making up around 6% of their total income.
Total turnover for all performing arts centres was $33.5 million.
Every $1 provided by Creative Victoria leveraged a further $16.38 income to this sector.
Sources of income
- Earned income was 44% of total revenue.
- Creative Victoria funding was 6%
- Other Government funding was 48% of total revenue - almost all of which was local Government, representing 47% of total revenue.
- Private support was 1% of total revenue:
- $180,806 in cash sponsorship
- $167,360 in donations
- $95,000 from philanthropic trusts
- $30,818 of in-kind sponsorship
Sources of income
- 43% of sector expenditure went towards administration costs
- 32% on production costs
- 7% on marketing costs
Marketing & promotion
Employment and Volunteers
The sector employed 508 people.
- Total employment is equivalent to 175 full time employees.
- 83.5% are employed on a casual or part time basis.
574 volunteers provided 19,707 hours of service.
Audience and Members
20 performing arts centres reported attendances of around 1.1 million.
- 17% were from metropolitan Melbourne
- 77% from regional Victoria
- 6% from interstate
- 0.5% from overseas
Funding from Creative Victoria was equivalent to $1.78 per attendance.
The sector reported 20,111 members/friends.
8 organisations reported 351,025 online visits
Performing arts centres presented 5,874 events, including:
- 1,587 productions
- 191 exhibitions
- 366 films
- 2,238 lectures, seminars and conferences
- 283 workshops
- 1,209 other events
7 performing arts centres have collection or education material on-line.
14 performing arts centres offered programming for emerging artists.
19 performing arts centres offered children or youth participation programs recording 105,897 children or youth attendances through 805 sessions.
A number of organisations offered targeted programming:
- 19 offered programming for children (up to 12 years)
- 16 offered programming for youth (12 to 25 years)
- 13 offered programming for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islanders
- 10 offered programming for people from culturally and linguistically diverse communities
- 12 offered programming for people with a disability
- 11 offered programming for women
- 19 offered programming for senior citizens
The sector reported 652 inbound tours and 1 outbound tour within Victoria.