In 2016, 33 museums and galleries received operational funding from Creative Victoria, reporting on employment, volunteering, membership, income and expenditure and attendance and programming.
17 museums and galleries are located in regional Victoria.
Creative Victoria provided $6.1 million to museums and galleries, making up 15% of their total income.
Total income for all museums and galleries was $41.2 million.
Every $1 provided by Creative Victoria leveraged a further $5.81 income to this sector.
Sources of income
- Earned income was 34% of total revenue.
- Creative Victoria funding was 15%
- Other Government funding was 32% (including Commonwealth, local and other State funding).
- Private support was 19% of total revenue:
- $711,920 million in cash sponsorship
- $554,207 million in in-kind sponsorship
- $4.6 million from donations
- $1.9 million from philanthropic trusts
- Local Government provided 25% of the total income, around $10.5 million.
Sources of income
- 51% of sector expenditure went towards administration costs
- 28% on production costs
- 13% on marketing costs
Marketing and Promotion
Employment and Volunteers
The sector employed 478 people.
- Total employment is equivalent to 260 full time employees.
- 73% are employed on a casual or part time basis.
1,849 volunteers provided 70,684 hours of service.
Audience and Members
33 museums and galleries reported attendances of 1.7 million.
- 49% were from metropolitan Melbourne
- 31% from regional Victoria
- 11% from interstate
- 9% from overseas
Funding from Creative Victoria was equivalent to $3.52 per attendance.
The sector reported 15,492 members/friends.
27 organisations reported 2,472,332 online visits
Museums and galleries presented 4,712 events, including:
- 215 productions
- 607 exhibitions
- 89 films
- 887 lectures, seminars and conferences
- 2,422 workshops
- 492 other events
27 of the supported museums and galleries have collection or education material on-line.
30 museums and galleries offered programming for emerging artists.
30 museums and galleries offered children or youth participation programs recording 107,973 children or youth attendances through 9,754 sessions.
A number of organisations offered targeted programming:
- 29 offered programming for children (up to 12 years)
- 30 offered programming for youth (12 to 25 years)
- 23 offered programming for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islanders
- 15 offered programming for people from culturally and linguistically diverse communities
- 19 offered programming for people with a disability
- 22 offered programming for senior citizens
The sector reported 58 inbound tours and 25 outbound tours in Victoria, interstate and overseas.