In 2017, 32 museums and galleries received operational funding from Creative Victoria, reporting on employment, volunteering, membership, income and expenditure and attendance and programming.
16 museums and galleries are located in regional Victoria.
Creative Victoria provided $6.4 million to museums and galleries; 16% of their total income.
Total income for all museums and galleries was $40 million.
Every $1 provided by Creative Victoria leveraged a further $5.27 income to this sector.
Sources of income
- Earned income was 29% of total revenue.
- Creative Victoria funding was 16%
- Other Government funding was 38% of total income (including Commonwealth, local and other State funding).
- Private support was 15% of total income:
- $0.6 million in cash sponsorship
- $0.7 million in in-kind sponsorship
- $3.5 million from donations
- $1.1 million from philanthropic trusts
- Local Government provided 31% of the total income, around $12.6 million.
Sources of income
- 31% of sector expenditure went towards production costs
- 44% on administration costs
- 10% on marketing costs
Marketing and Promotion
Employment and Volunteers
The sector employed 453 people.
- Total employment is equivalent to 268 full time employees.
- 38% are employed on a casual basis.
1,873 volunteers provided 82,617 hours of service.
Audience and Members
32 museums and galleries reported attendances of 2.2 million.
- 56% were from metropolitan Melbourne
- 25% from regional Victoria
- 12% from interstate
- 7% from overseas
Funding from Creative Victoria was equivalent to $2.94 per attendance.
The sector reported 15,470 members/friends.
23 organisations reported 1.5 million online visits
Museums and galleries presented 2.950 events, including:
- 117 productions
- 552 exhibitions
- 859 workshops
- 24 films
- 744 lectures, seminars and conferences
- 654 other events
30 of the 32 funded museums and galleries have collection or education material online.
30 museums and galleries offered programming for emerging artists.
28 museums and galleries offered children or youth participation programs recording 99,494 children or youth attendances through 15,403 sessions.
A number of organisations offered targeted programming:
- 27 offered programming for children (up to 12 years)
- 26 offered programming for youth (12 to 25 years)
- 26 offered programming for First Peoples
- 20 offered programming for people from culturally and linguistically diverse communities
- 22 offered programming for people with a disability
- 23 offered programming for senior citizens
The sector reported 52 inbound tours and 37 outbound tours; 22 in Victoria, 14 interstate and 1 overseas.