In 2016, 23 industry and cultural development organisations received operational funding from Creative Victoria, reporting on employment, volunteering, memberships, income and expenditure and attendance and programming.
19 of these organisations are located in metropolitan Melbourne.
Creative Victoria provided $7.1 million to industry and cultural development organisations, around 32% of total income.
Total turnover for all industry and cultural development organisations was $22.2 million.
Every $1 provided by Creative Victoria leveraged a further $2.14 income to this sector.
Sources of income
- Earned income was 28% of total revenue.
- Creative Victoria funding was 32% of total revenue.
- Other Government funding was 27% (including Commonwealth, local and other State Government funding).
- Private support was 9% of total revenue:
- $377,566 in cash sponsorship
- $253,895 of in-kind sponsorship
- $383,796 from donations
- $956,553 from philanthropic trusts
- Local Government provided $1.2 million or 5% of the total income.
Sources of income
- 50% of sector expenditure went towards production costs
- 34% on administration costs
- 8% on marketing costs
Marketing & Promotion
Employment and Volunteers
The sector employed 363 people.
- Total employment is equivalent to 146 full time employees.
- 85% are employed on a casual or part time basis.
6,676 volunteers provided 204,517 hours of service.
Audience and Members
23 industry and cultural development organisations reported total attendances of 1.7 million.
- 71% were from metropolitan Melbourne
- 18% from regional Victoria
- 7% from interstate
- 4% from overseas
Funding from Creative Victoria was equivalent to $4.13 per attendance.
The sector reported 67,113 members/friends.
16 organisations reported 4,768,058 on-line visits.
Industry and cultural development organisations presented 2,292 events, including:
- 623 productions
- 109 exhibitions
- 48 films
- 196 lectures, seminars and conferences
- 1,108 workshops
- 208 other events
17 of the 23 funded industry and cultural development organisations have collection or education material on-line.
18 organisations offered programming for emerging artists.
15 supported industry and cultural development organisations offered children or youth participation programs recording 119,433 children or youth attendances through 929 sessions.
A number of organisations offered targeted programming:
- 11 offered programming for children (up to 12 years)
- 17 offered programming for youth (12 to 25 years)
- 15 offered programming for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islanders
- 11 offered programming for people from culturally and linguistically diverse communities
- 10 offered programming for people with a disability
- 12 offered programming for women
- 10 offered programming for senior citizens
The sector reported 6 inbound tours and 85 outbound tours in Victoria, interstate and overseas.