In 2019-20, 292,000 people in Victoria are estimated to be employed in cultural or creative activities as their first job, representing 8.6% of total Victorian employment.
This comprises all those who work in a cultural or creative industry (214,000), and all those who have a cultural or creative occupation in a non-cultural or non-creative industry (79,000).
Performing Arts and Creative Practices
- In 2019-20, 13,763 Victorians were employed as performing artists, musicians, writers, performing arts support workers, creative practitioners or in performing arts venue operations.
- In 2019-20, 16,427 Victorians were employed as printing and publishing media workers including newspaper, book, magazine publishing and printing support services.
Galleries and Museums
- In 2019-20, 9,336 were employed in the Museum Operations industry including libraries and archives.
Visual Arts and Crafts
- In 2019-20, 6,514 Victorians were employed as Visual Arts and Craft professionals such as photographer, silverware making and jeweller.
- In 2019-20, 6,590 Victorians were employed in clothing and footwear design and manufacturing.
- In 2019-20, 134,050 Victorians were employed as design workers in a variety of areas, including architectural services, advertising, specialised design services and computer system design.
- In 2019-20, 17,007 Victorians were employed in the motion picture industry (incl. production, exhibition, post-production, distribution), television broadcasting, cable and subscription broadcasting, internet publishing and broadcasting, software publishing, video and other electronic media rental and hiring.
- In 2019-20, 477 Victorians were employed music composition and publishing.
- In 2019-20, 9,665 Victorians engaged in providing private teaching in the arts, including art, dance, ballet, drama and music.
- In 2019-20, 78,562 Victorians worked in cultural or creative occupation in a non-cultural or non-creative industry.