In 2020-21 305,000 people in Victoria are estimated to be employed in cultural or creative activities as their first job, representing 9.0% of total Victorian employment.
This comprises all those who work in a cultural or creative industry (225,000), and all those who have a cultural or creative occupation in a non-cultural or non-creative industry (79,000).
Performing Arts and Creative Practices
- In 2020-2021, 18,398 Victorians were employed as performing artists, musicians, writers, performing arts support workers, creative practitioners or in performing arts venue operations.
- In 2020-2021 16,317 Victorians were employed as printing and publishing media workers including newspaper, book, magazine publishing and printing support services.
Galleries and Museums
- In 2020-2021, 10,636 Victorians were employed in the Museum Operations industry including libraries and archives.
Visual Arts and Crafts
- In 2020-2021, 8,118 Victorians were employed as Visual Arts and Craft professionals such as photographer, silverware making and jeweller.
- In 2020-21, 7,140 Victorians were employed in clothing and footwear design and manufacturing.
- In 2020-2021, 138,803 Victorians were employed as design workers in a variety of areas, including architectural services, advertising, specialised design services and computer system design.
- In 2020-2021, 17,088 Victorians were employed in the motion picture industry (incl. production, exhibition, post-production, distribution), television broadcasting, cable and subscription broadcasting, internet publishing and broadcasting, software publishing, video and other electronic media rental and hiring.
- In 2020-2021, 256 Victorians were employed music composition and publishing.
- In 2020-2021, 8,548 Victorians engaged in providing private teaching in the arts, including art, dance, ballet, drama and music.
- In 2020-2021, 79,421 Victorians worked in cultural or creative occupation in a non-cultural or non-creative industry.