The creative industries are significant to Victoria's culture, economy and society and central to its future. Creative sectors and occupations account for $23 billion in gross value added and make up about 8% of the Victorian economy.
These industries have wide-ranging positive impacts that resonate across our culture, society and economy.
Here are a few highlights:
Cultural Visitation Victoria
- In 2019 there were 12.3m cultural visits or visitors to and within Victoria
- 46% of all cultural visitors visited a museum or art gallery
- Cultural visitors who experienced at least three cultural activities spent $2.5 billion in 2019
In 2019-20, 292,000 people in Victoria are estimated to be employed in cultural or creative activities as their first job, representing 8.6% of total Victorian employment.
In 2018-19, 130 Victorian based organisations that receive operational funding from Creative Victoria generated $53 million in private support representing 16% of total income.
- On average Victorian creative and cultural organisations rely on volunteer and pro bono services for 45% of income support.
- 17% of Victorians engage in volunteer work in the arts, this is higher than the national average of 15%.