In 2015, attendance at 33 Victorian museums and galleries funded by Creative Victoria was 2.0 million. Supported organisations created 458 employment opportunities. and delivered 3,999 events.
28% of Victorians aged 15 years and over attended art galleries in 2013-14.
National Gallery of Victoria and ACMI, 2015-16
- Attendance at the National Gallery of Victoria was 2.6 million
- Attendance at the Australian Centre for the Moving Image was 2 million
- They reported a combined website visitation of 6 million
- Education programs attracted 161,525 participants
- The National Gallery of Victoria and the Australian Centre for the Moving Image are custodians of States owned collections with a combined value of $3.7 billion
28% of Victorians aged 15 years and over attended museums in 2013-14.
Museums Victoria, 2015-16
- Total visitation at Museums Victoria's three public venues was more than 1.9 million
- Website visitation was 5.9 million
- Their education program attracted 287,460 participants
- The state collection at Museums Victoria is valued at $699 million
Employment in Galleries and Museums (ABS, 2011 Census data*)
- In 2011, 2,200 Victorians were employed in museum operations as their main job
- 707 Victorians were employed as gallery or museum curator, guide or technician as their main job (238 were employed outside the museums sector)
(* source - 6273.0 - Employment in Culture, Australia, 2011)
Volunteers in Galleries and Museums
- In 2015, 1,622 volunteers provided 81,019 hours of service to 32 Victorian museums and galleries funded by Creative Victoria
- In addition to this, Museums Victoria, National Gallery of Victoria and Australian Centre for the Moving Image reported a combined volunteer contribution of 81,281 hours, equivalent to 10,695 days