Museums Victoria is Australia's largest public museum organisation.
It is responsible for the care of Victoria's state collections (approximately 17 million items).
Museums Victoria operates
- Three public museums - the Melbourne Museum including the IMAX Theatre and Pauline Gandel Children's Gallery; Scienceworks featuring modern interactive exhibition galleries, the Melbourne Planetarium and the Lightning Room; and the Immigration Museum;
- A collection storage facility - Moreland Annexe, and a non-collection storage facility - Simcock Avenue.
Museums Victoria is also a custodian for the World Heritage-listed Royal Exhibition Building.
Key Facts 2018-19
- Total income - $86.8 million
- Value of assets (land, buildings and equipment) - $1.2 billion
- Value of collection - $717.5 million
- Creative Victoria's annual operating appropriation - $47.1 million (including additional project operating funding)
- Creative Victoria's annual capital appropriation - $12.6 million
- Number of attendances - 2.8 million
- Number of website visits - 6.2 million
- Number of participants in youth education programs - 255,552
- Number of employees - 551 full-time equivalent
- Number of members / friends - 23,522
- Number of volunteer hours - 43,349 hours (equivalent to 5,704 full-time days)