Museums Victoria is Australia's largest public museum organisation.
It is responsible for the care of Victoria's state collections (approximately 17 million items).
Museums Victoria operates
- Three public museums - the Melbourne Museum including the IMAX Theatre and Pauline Gandel Children's Gallery; Scienceworks featuring modern interactive exhibition galleries, the Melbourne Planetarium and the Lightning Room; and the Immigration Museum;
- A collection storage facility - Moreland Annexe, and a non-collection storage facility - Simcock Avenue.
Museums Victoria is also a custodian for the World Heritage-listed Royal Exhibition Building.
Key Facts 2019-20
- Total income - $81.3 million
- Value of collection - $717.7 million
- Creative Victoria's annual operating appropriation - $49.9 million (including additional project operating funding)
- Creative Victoria's annual capital appropriation - $7.6 million
- Number of attendances - 1.9 million
- Number of website visits - 5.9 million
- Number of students attending education programs - 177,492
- Number of employees - 650 individuals (equivalent to 463 FTE's)
- Number of members / friends - 23,299
- Number of volunteers - 554 individuals, contributing 34,917 hours (equivalent to 4,594 full days)