In 2018-19, 32 museums and galleries received operational funding from Creative Victoria, reporting on employment, volunteering, income and expenditure and attendance and programming.
16 museums and galleries are located in regional Victoria.
Definition of museums and galleries is a building or group of spaces displaying exhibitions and cultural collections, facilitating exchanges between audiences and creative practitioners.
In 2018-19, Creative Victoria provided $7.1 million to museums and galleries; 15% of their total income. Total income for all organisations was $45.7 million.
Every $1 provided by Creative Victoria leveraged a further $5.45 income to the funded sector.
Sources of income
- Earned income was 22% of total income.
- Creative Victoria funding was 15%.
- Other Government funding was 40% of total income (including Commonwealth, local and other State funding).
- Private support was 18% of total income:
- $0.9 million cash sponsorship
- $0.8 million in-kind sponsorship
- $3.8 million donations
- $0.6 million fundraising
- $2.3 million foundations (incl. philanthropy)
Sources of income
Local Government provided 32% of the total income at $14.7 million.
- 33% of sector expenditure went towards production costs.
- 45% on administration costs.
- 11% on marketing costs.
The sector employed 558 people.
- Total employment is equivalent to 246 full time employees.
- 47% are employed on a casual basis.
32 museums and galleries engaged the services of 4,503 creative practitioners.
1,764 volunteers provided 84,256 hours of service.
32 organisations reported attendances of 2.4million.
- 59% were from metropolitan Melbourne
- 30% from regional Victoria
- 7% from interstate
- 4% from overseas
29 organisations reported 1.9 million online visits.
12 museums and galleries reported 600,000 views on digital platforms (including radio, TV, live streaming, downloads).
Museums and galleries presented 2,697 events, including:
- 99 productions
- 588 exhibitions
- 1,158 workshops
- 523 lectures, seminars and public talks
- 27 films
- 302 other events
30 organisations offered children or youth participation programs recording 112,752 children or youth attendances through 3,821 sessions.
A number of organisations offered targeted programming:
- 23 offered programming for First Peoples
- 27 offered programming for children (up to 12 years)
- 28 offered programming for youth (12 to 25 years)
- 17 offered programming for people from culturally and linguistically diverse communities
- 18 offered programming for senior citizens
- 10 offered programming for people who identify as lesbian, gay, bisexual, trans and/or intersex
- 21 offered programming for people who identify as women
- 15 offered programming for people who identify as having a disability
- 21 offered programming for people living in regional communities
The sector reported 67 inbound tours and 17 outbound tours; 12 in Victoria, 3 interstate and 2 overseas.