According to data from the 2011 Census 131,480 people in Victoria were employed in cultural activities as their main job, comprising all who work in a cultural industry and those who have a cultural occupation in a non-cultural industry. 85,517 Victorians had a cultural occupation as their main job.
- In 2011, 7,717 Victorians were employed in the performing arts industry as artists, musicians or technical support workers as their main job
- In 2011, 6,559 Victorians were employed as Librarians or Archivists as their main job
- 6,631 Victorians were employed as writers or print media workers as their main job
Galleries and Museums
- In 2011, 2,200 Victorians were employed in museum operations as their main job
- In 2013, 1,585 volunteers provided 89,000 hours of service to 31 Victorian museums and galleries funded by Creative Victoria
Visual Arts, Crafts and Design
- In 2011, 4,139 Victorians were employed as visual arts and craft professionals as their main job
- 21,752 Victorians were employed as design workers as their main job
Film, Television and New Media
- In 2015-16, film, television and digital media productions support by Film Victoria created 8,068 jobs.
- In 2011, 5,712 Victorians were employed in the motion picture industry as their main job
- An additional 1,636 Victorians were employed as broadcasting, film and recorded media equipment operators as their main job, in other industries
(source - ABS 6273.0 - Employment in Culture, Australia, 2011)
Employment in Government-Supported Cultural Sector
State Cultural Organisations
- In 2015-16, total employment at Victoria's State owned arts and cultural organisations was 1,732 (equivalent full time).
Comprising the State-owned arts and cultural organisations (Australian Centre for the Moving Image, Geelong Performing Arts Centre, Museums Victoria, Melbourne Recital Centre, National Gallery of Victoria, State Library of Victoria and Arts Centre Melbourne).
- In 2015, 132 organisations that receive operational funding from Creative Victoria employed 6,033 people, equivalent to 2,189 full time employees