In the year ending December 2017 there were 2.9 million international visitors to Victoria.
- 1.8 million of these, or 63%, were considered to be cultural visitors (as having attended at least one cultural venue or event during their time in Australia)
Cultural attractions were:
- museums or art galleries (66%)
- historical or heritage buildings (65%)
- festival, fairs or cultural event (24%)
- First People's cultural activity (23%)
- theatre, concerts or another performing arts activity (19%) and
- arts and craft venue or workshop (14%)
Cultural visitors stayed in Victoria for longer than your average International visitor:
- International visitors stayed in Victoria an average of 23 nights each
- International cultural visitors stayed in Victoria an average of 25 nights each
A significant proportion of international cultural visitors came from China, the United Kingdom and the United States of America:
- Around 1 in 5 came from China
- Around 1 in 10 from the United Kingdom
- Around 1 in 10 the United States of America
International - Spend
In 2017, expenditure in Victoria from international cultural tourism was $2.0 billion (encapsulating spend of visitors who experienced three or more cultural sites during their trip to Australia)*.
- This is an 88% increase in cultural tourism expenditure since 2013
- Growth can primarily be attributed to an overall increase in international cultural tourism to Victoria and to a lesser extent an increase in the average spend per night (from $95 in 2013 to $111 in 2017)
* A cultural tourist, for the purpose of calculating expenditure, is defined as a tourist who visited 3 or more cultural sites during their trip to Australia. Cultural sites include attending theatre, concerts or other performing arts; visiting museums or art galleries; visiting craft workshops or studios; attending festivals, fairs or cultural events; visiting history, heritage sites or monuments; experiencing First People's art, craft or cultural displays; visiting a First People's site or community; and/or attending a First People's performance.
In the year ending December 2017, there were 24.5 million domestic overnight visits to and within Victoria (of one or more nights duration):
- 4.1 million of these, or 17%, were considered to be cultural visits (as having attended a cultural venue or event during their trip)
Cultural visitors stayed longer than the average visitor:
- all domestic trips totalled 70.4 million visitor nights, an average stay of 3 nights each (2.9 exactly),
- cultural overnight visits totalled 14.1 million visitor nights, an average of between 3 and 4 nights each (3.5 exactly).
Attractions for Victoria's domestic cultural tourists were:
- museums and art galleries (45%)
- historic buildings and monuments (36%)
- theatre, concerts and performing arts events (22%)
- festivals, fairs or cultural events (22%)