Attendance at Victorian performing arts venues and events (ABS figures)
56% of all Victorians aged 15 years or over attended at least one performing arts venue or event in the year 2017-18:
- 39% attended popular music concerts
- 19% attended theatre performances
- 19% attended musicals and operas
- 10% attended dance performances
- 20% attended other performing arts (incl. physical theatre and circus arts)
Visit the Audience Atlas Victoria 2019 to learn more about Victoria's arts audiences.
Creative participation in performing arts
The National Arts Participation Survey conducted by the Australia Council for the Arts in 2019, found that one in ten Victorians, aged 15 and over, creatively participated in dance (11%, up from 8% in 2016). A similar proportion creatively participated in theatre (9%, up from 8% in 2016). In 2019, 16% of Victorians aged 15 years and over created music (up from 13% in 2016). 92% of Victorians (4.8 million) listened to and/or watched recorded music.
For consistency with the 2019 methodology, 2016 figures are reported for online sample only and may differ from those published in the previous National Arts Participation Survey reports.
Funded performing arts venues and events
- Read about Creative Victoria funded Performing Arts Organisations.
- Read about Creative Victoria funded Performing Arts Centres.
- Read about Victoria's State-owned Performing Arts Institutions - Arts Centre Melbourne, Geelong Arts Centre and Melbourne Recital Centre.
Employment in the wider sector
Read about employment in the performing arts in Victoria.