10 September 2020
Melbourne Design Week will return in 2021 and expressions of interest are now open to participate in the Victoria-wide program of talks, tours, workshops, launches and exhibitions.
AURUM 2020, presented by Georgia Nowak and Eugene Perepletchikov. Image courtesy of NASA/Chris Gunn
From Friday 26 March – Monday 5 April 2021, Melbourne Design Week explores the theme ‘Design the world you want’. Participants will consider how the design community can work together to create a better, healthier future for the planet and its inhabitants.
Expressions of interest for the 2021 program are open to a wide range of practitioners, including designers, galleries, educators, innovators and industry.
Highlights for Melbourne Design Week 2021 include:
- The Victorian Design Challenge offering a share of over $25,000 in prizes for student and professional designers to develop inventive solutions to the 2021 brief of making more age-friendly communities.
- Working alongside Open House Melbourne the Melbourne Design Week team will expand to include a satellite program in regional Victoria.
- The Melbourne Design Week Film Festival, curated by Richard Sawada, returns to Melbourne's cinemas and public screens.
- Melbourne's leading galleries, including Tolarno and Sophie Gannon Gallery, will host exhibitions of some of Australia's most innovative designers.
- Hosted by the National Gallery of Victoria and running alongside Melbourne Design Week, the seventh annual Melbourne Art Book Fair will run from Friday 26 – Sunday 28 March 2021 and feature local and international publishers and a range of free programming.
- During the NGV Triennial, a major celebration of contemporary art and design practice presented by the National Gallery of Victoria, international guests, including some of the world's leading architects, designers and thinkers will present keynote talks and conversations.
Melbourne Design Week 2021 will also expand its digital presence with online exhibition tours, talks and video.
Melbourne Design Week is an initiative of the Victorian Government and is delivered by the National Gallery of Victoria. The free program is part of a suite of initiatives that support Victoria’s designers and design businesses, giving a platform for the industry to showcase their work and raise awareness about the importance of design to the lives of all Victorians.
Expressions of Interest to participate in the 2021 program will close Friday 9 October 2020.
For further information please visit the NGV website: designweek.melbourne