19 July 2019
Victoria lived up to its ‘creative state’ moniker with local creatives recognised for their work across multiple disciplines including dance, theatre, comedy and music at the 19th annual Helpmann Awards which were held in Melbourne for the first time.
Image: Robot Song. Photo supplied.
Chunky Move choreographer Tara Jade Samaya and Gabriela Tylesova – the costume designer for MTC’s Twelfth Night production both received nods for their individual contributions.
The heart-warming musical for kids, Robot Song, delivered Bendigo’s Arena Theatre its first trophy, after four nominations in previous years. While promoters Token Events and Frontier Touring were recognised for their work in live comedy and music and Melbourne Recital Centre’s production of Purcell’s King Arthur was named Best Chamber Concert.
The ceremony, held at the Arts Centre, honouring the achievements of Australia’s live music industry included stunning performances from Victorian Opera, Melbourne-based The Australian Ballet and the cast of Harry Potter and the Cursed Child. Stream them all via ABC iView.
Helpman Awards – Victorian nominees and winners (highlighted)
- Best Ballet - Australian Ballet - Aurum
- Best Female Dancer – Chunky Move – Common Ground, Tara Jade Samaya
- Best Male Dancer - Australian Ballet – Spartacus, Kevin Jackson
- Best Dance Production - Arts House and Jo Lloyd, Overture
- Best Cabaret Performer – Dickie Beau, Re-Member Me – ACM, MIAF and Perth Festival
- Best Comedy Performer – James Acaster, Cold Lasagne Hate Myself 1999 – MICF
- Best Comedy Performer – Damian Power, Man Puts His Dreams in a Sock – A Token Event (Vic Company)
- Best Comedy Performer – Anne Edmonds, What’s Wrong With You? – A Token Event
- Best Comedy Performer – Hannah Gadsby, Douglas – A Token Event
- Best Australian Contemporary Concert – Kylie Minogue, Golden Tour – Frontier Touring (VIC) Roundhouse Entertainment (VIC) and Mellen Events
- Best Australian Contemporary Concert – Paul Kelly – Frontier Touring
- Best International Contemporary Concert – David Byrne, Celine Dion and The Killer – Frontier Touring
- Best Costume Design – Gabriela Tylesova, Twelfth Night – MTC
- Best New Australian Work – Nakkiah Lui, Blackie Blackie Brown – Malthouse and STC
- Best Original Score – Kate Miller Heidke and Keir Nuttall, Twelfth Night – MTC
- Best Chamber Concert – Purcell’s King Arthur - MRC and State Opera of SA
- Best Direction of an Opera – Sarah Giles, Lorelei – Victorian Opera
- Best Male in a Supporting Role in an Opera – Derek Welton, Parsifal – Victorian Opera
- Best Presentation for Children and Young People – Arena Theatre Company, Robot Song
- Best Presentation for Children and Young People – Amrita Hepi and Performing Lines, A Call To Dance – ACM
- Best Direction of a Play – Declan Greene, Blackie Blackie Brown – Malthouse Theatre and STC
- Best Female Actor in a Play – Melita Jurisic, Arbus and West – MTC
- Best Female Actor in a Supporting Role in a Play – Maude Davey, Melancholia – Malthouse
- Best Female Actor in a Supporting Role in a Play – Zoe Terakes, A View From The Bridge – MTC
- Best Male Actor in a Play – Amer Hlehel, TAHA – ACM with Arts Projects Australia
- Best Male Actor in a Supporting Role in a Play – Ash Flanders, Blackie Blackie Brown – Malthouse and STC
- Best Production of a Play – Rawcus, Song For A Weary Throat – ACM and MIAF
Subscribe to Creative Victoria for all the latest news, funding opportunities and resources for the creative industries.