19 August 2019
Creative Victoria has appointed the Wallis Consulting Group to conduct specialist research and analysis on Victoria’s design sector.
AGL Virtual Solar, 2018 Finalist Communication Design
The latest round of research will update the last report from 2015 to paint a picture of Victoria’s design industry including its current capabilities and the workforce that powers it.
Importantly, it also examines how Victorian businesses engage with and value design and the contribution that design makes to the Victorian economy.
The 2019 research will update and extend on similar research undertaken in 2008, 2012 and 2015. Creative Victoria anticipates the 2019 research will be published in late 201
Key 2015 research findings
1. An estimated 5,500 design consultancies operate in Victoria.
2. Design is an important contributor to the economy:
- Victorian design consultancies earned revenues of $5 billion servicing local, interstate and international clients
- Design generates an estimated $450 million in international exports
- Victorian businesses spend $4.3 billion on design services.
3. Business use of design continues to rise:
- on average, businesses that use design are more innovative, profitable, grow faster and export more than businesses that do not use design
- 44% of Victorian businesses make some use of design.
4. Design remains a strong source of employment:
- more than 85,000 people are directly employed in design roles in Victoria
- 25,000 work as designers in design consultancies and over 60,000 are employed in design roles in other businesses across the economy
- total design related employment is estimated to be 136,450, comprising some 85,000 designers and 50,900 (non-design) support staff.