18 December 2018
Congratulations to the winners and entrants of the 2018 Koorie Art Show awards, including artist Janet Bromley who’s won the top prize – the Creative Victoria Award for Excellence.
The Koorie Art Show 2018
This year a record 190 artworks from more than 100 artists were received, making it the biggest Koorie Art Show yet.
Winners have been recognised across eight award categories and artworks span a range of styles, subject matter, materials and mediums. Full list below.
The open-entry, non-acquisitive annual award exhibition features emerging to senior Koorie and Victorian-based Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander artists.
All entries are currently on display at Fed Square until Sunday 24 February.
Voting is now open for the People's Choice Award is now open to the public for voting. The winner will be announced at the close of the exhibition.
More details at Koorie Heritage Trust.
- Creative Victoria Award for Excellence in Any Media: Janet Bromley (Yorta Yorta), Sea View, plastic, nylon and yarn
- Metro Tunnel Creative Program 2D Award: Kelly Koumalatsos (Wergaia/Wemba Wemba), Benim wile. To cover over with possum blanket. Wergaia, print making ink on paper with linen thread.
- Viva Energy 3D Award: Nannette Shaw (Pyemmairrener, Boonwurrung), Traditional Bull Kelp Water Carriers, bull kelp, tea tree, river read.
- Lendlease Reconciliation Award: Josh Muir (Yorta Yorta/Gunditjmara), Journey to liberty, digital print on aluminium with neon.
- RMIT University Emerging Artist Award: Hunter Callaghan (Taungurung), Winji, photograph on aluminium.
- Koorie Heritage Trust Highly Commended Award x2: GOTAFE SHEPPARTON, Aunty Girl, ceramic and textiles and Clint Lingard (Ewamian/Kuku-Yalangi), Warrior Gentleman, wood, material, metal.