24 July 2018
The inaugural Municipal Association of Victoria (MAV) Local Government Arts and Culture Forum will be held from 22 to 23 August.
Local and international panellists and speakers will share their expertise and demonstrate the practical application of arts and culture programs and strategies that bring economic, cultural and social benefit to communities.
With a program tailored to the Victorian Local Government environment, the forum is relevant for Officers and Councillors interested in putting arts and culture on the agenda for the benefit of their communities. The forum will also include networking events to create opportunities for collaboration across borders, and an opportunity to meet the leaders of peak arts bodies at a lunchtime expo.
Victorian Local Government representatives will be given registration preference. Delegates are free to attend one or more days however registration is essential for catering purposes.
Day 1 (Wednesday 22 August): 4.00pm to 8.30pm
Location: Drum Theatre in the City of Greater Dandenong
Jordi Balta: Advisor Culture in Sustainable Cities, Committee on Culture, United Cities and Local Government (UCLG)
Hailing from Spain, Jordi will share the UCLG vision for culture and sustainable cities, followed by networking drinks in the Drum Theatre and a buffet dinner at the Walker Street Art Gallery (included).
Day 2 (Thursday 23 August): 9.30am - 5.30pm
Location: Southbank Theatre – Melbourne Theatre Company
- Leveraging Live Music: growth through local music industry
- MTNS MADE: learn how the Blue Mountains is leveraging the strength of its creative industries community to establish a cultural brand
- Impact of Success: Plan for sustainable cultural places
- Libraries After Dark: Late night venue, safe-haven, community hub
- The Value of Evidence: How to make a compelling case by combining statistics with story
- The Cultural Ecosystem: Victorian Local Government Expo
In a special offer, the first 10 Councillors who register their interest by 30 July are invited to attend free of charge (please note, this offer is available to one Councillor from each council). Enquiries can be directed to the MAV events team via firstname.lastname@example.org