26 October 2016
Sydney's 107 Projects and Actors Centre Australia (ACA) have launched The New Plot, a national playwriting award with a $10,000 cash prize.
Australian playwrights are invited to submit a 25-30 minute manuscript to the competition, which is designed to foster professional development for writers and actors, and to bring new Australian stories to the stage.
Submissions will be shortlisted by an expert panel including Dean Carey (Creative Director of ACA), Philip Quast (Actor) and Stephen Sewell (Writer, The Boys), with the winning script to be performed as part of 107 Presents 2017-2018 season.
The full prize package includes:
- $10,000 cash
- One-on-one time with judging panel members to learn from the skills of industry leaders
- The script produced with a cast of ACA actors under a professional director
- Professional cinematic audio production of the play by AFTRS for radio and online broadcast
- A 4-week artists residency at The Bundanon Trust to develop the script into a full length play
- A 3-week season of the play presented as part of the 107 Presents 2017-2018 season
The New Plot seeks to discover brave risk taking work that deals with the unexpected and unconventional. Judges will be on the lookout for a rich, engaging text that does not require the bells and whistles of large production resources to inspire and engage and a story that represents the diversity of Australia.
Submissions to The New Plot close on 31 December 2016.