Creative Victoria is responsible for Victoria's portfolio of State-owned cultural facilities and assets. These are:
- Arts Centre Melbourne - Hamer Hall and Theatres Building
- Arts Centre Melbourne - Sidney Myer Music Bowl
- Australian Centre for the Moving Image
- Federation Bells - Birrarung Marr
- Geelong Performing Arts Centre
- Heide Museum of Modern Art
- Malthouse Theatre
- Meat Market
- Melbourne Recital Centre/Melbourne Theatre Company
- Museums Victoria - Immigration Museum
- Museums Victoria - Melbourne Museum
- Museums Victoria - Royal Exhibition Building
- Museums Victoria - Scienceworks/The Melbourne Planetarium
- National Gallery of Victoria - NGV International and The Ian Potter Centre: NGV Australia
- Ngargee - Location of Chunky Move, Malthouse Theatre staging workshop and the Australian Centre for Contemporary Art
- State Circus Facility - Home of Circus Oz
- St Martins Youth Arts Centre
- The Drill Hall
- The State Library of Victoria
- The State Library of Victoria - Ballarat storage facility
ARTS CENTRE MELBOURNE - THEATRES BUILDING AND HAMER HALL
The site of Arts Centre Melbourne has a long history as a home to the arts. The site was home to a circus, theatre, roller and ice skating rink, cinema and dance hall until 1973 when construction began on a publicly owned performing arts centre. Originally, Arts Centre Melbourne was conceived as one building; however, due to the geology of the site, the plans were split in two, a building focused on music and another focused on performing arts.
Hamer Hall - originally called the Melbourne Concert Hall - is positioned alongside the Yarra River. It opened in 1982.
The Theatres Building - beneath the iconic spire, designed to replicate the folds of a ballerina's tutu - opened in 1984. Further structural improvements were made to the spire in 1996 with the world-class light display revealed for the first time on Australia Day 1997.
ARTS CENTRE MELBOURNE - SIDNEY MYER MUSIC BOWL
The Sidney Myer Music Bowl, located within Melbourne's Kings Domain Gardens was presented to the people of Melbourne in 1959 by the Sidney Myer Charity Trust. The Bowl is a public outdoor amphitheatre which has been used for a variety of theatre, concerts and festivals. It became a responsibility of Arts Centre Melbourne when it was handed over by the Myer Trust in 1980.
AUSTRALIAN CENTRE FOR THE MOVING IMAGE
The Australian Centre for the Moving Image opened in 2002 as part of the Federation Square development. It is a gallery and cinema complex dedicated to the moving image in all its forms. ACMI has two cinemas, the world's largest dedicated screen gallery for exhibitions, education and even production.
FEDERATION BELLS - BIRRARUNG MARR
The Federation Bells are a public art installation and instrument that was commissioned by the Victorian Government, through the Melbourne Festival, to commemorate the centenary of Federation. The installation was unveiled in 2002 and comprises of 39 free standing, motor-operated bells, each with a unique tone.
GEELONG PERFORMING ARTS CENTRE
A 1967 letter by Geelong resident, Richard Annois to Geelong's The Advertiser newspaper urged the people of Geelong to turn their 'golden vision' for a performance centre into 'bricks and mortar.'
The community rallied together and their vision was realised when the Geelong Performing Arts Centre opened its doors in 1981. GPAC is the performing arts hub for Geelong and district. It was the first performance centre in regional Australia to run a theatre series with a mix of programs. GPAC comprises of two theatres, studios, rehearsal spaces, gallery and a function centre.
HEIDE MUSEUM OF MODERN ART
The Heide Museum of Modern Art comprises 16 acres of buildings, gardens and a sculpture park. Heide, named after the nearby suburb of Heidelberg, was purchased by prominent Melbourne art enthusiasts and supporters, John and Sunday Reed in 1934. The property was a home to the Reeds and became synonymous with cutting edge Australian art as several artists, writers, musicians and poets were invited to spend time, find inspiration and work at the property.
The Malthouse Theatre was previously a brewery and malting house built in 1892 by Barrett Brothers & Burston.
In 1986, Elders IXL, owners of Carlton and United Breweries, who had acquired Barrett Brothers & Burston, donated the malting house to Melbourne's Playbox Theatre Company, which had been without a home since the Playbox Theatre was destroyed by fire in 1984.
The Barrett Brothers & Burston malting house was renamed the CUB Malthouse was redeveloped into a two theatre complex under the supervision of theatre designer John Beckett and was officially opened in August 1990.
Opened in 1880 as Melbourne's only purpose built wholesale meat market and distribution centre, the then derelict Metropolitan Meat Market was purchased by the Hamer Government in 1977 and relaunched as the Meat Market Craft Centre in 1979. After a name change in 1998, which saw the site known as Metro Craft Centre, the site was closed for redevelopment in 2001 and reopened in 2004 as the Meat Market - a multi-genre contemporary arts space.
The Meat Market has the capacity to house up to 30 organisations with purpose-built administration facilities, and offers ten diverse spaces for creative development including galleries, workshop spaces and a rehearsal room.
MELBOURNE RECITAL CENTRE/MELBOURNE THEATRE COMPANY
Melbourne's newest cultural facilities, the Melbourne Recital Centre and new home to Melbourne Theatre Company opened in early 2009. The buildings are located in Melbourne's arts precinct, behind the Victorian College of the Arts.
The Melbourne Recital Centre comprises of two spaces, the 1000-seat Dame Elisabeth Murdoch Hall and The Salon, a smaller, flexible performance and rehearsal space. Both spaces have world class acoustics and opened to the public in time for Dame Elisabeth's 100th birthday in February 2009.
Melbourne Theatre Company's new home is a joint project between the University of Melbourne and the Victorian Government. It boasts a 500 seat theatre, The Sumner Theatre, named after the company's founding Director John Sumner AO, CBE. The building also includes a 160 seat performance studio and space for functions, VIP rooms and several hospitality options.
MUSEUMS VICTORIA - IMMIGRATION MUSEUM
The Immigration Museum - Museums Victoria's youngest campus - was established in 1998. The Museum is housed in Melbourne's oldest public building, Old Customs House built in 1839 during Melbourne's life as a busy portside city.
MUSEUMS VICTORIA - MELBOURNE MUSEUM
Melbourne Museum dates back to 1854 when the Government Assay Office, which housed geological and natural science collections, opened on the same site as the State Library. From 1856 the collections were housed in a purpose-built facility at the University of Melbourne, before moving back to the library site 1899.
In late 1994, discussions began about the need for a new home for the museum's ever expanding collections and exhibitions. A site at the centre of Melbourne's Carlton Gardens was selected and the Melbourne Museum opened in 2000.
Melbourne Museum is the largest museum in the Southern Hemisphere and also includes Melbourne's IMAX Theatre and Bunjilaka the museum's Aboriginal cultural centre.
MUSEUMS VICTORIA - ROYAL EXHIBITION BUILDING
Opened in 1880, the Royal Exhibition Building was the first non-Aboriginal cultural site in Australia to achieve a World Heritage listing. The building has hosted numerous local, national and international events - including the opening of Australia's first Commonwealth Parliament of Australia on 9 May 1901. Museums Victoria became the custodians of the Royal Exhibition Building in 1996.
MUSEUMS VICTORIA - SCIENCEWORKS/THE MELBOURNE PLANETARIUM
Museums Victoria's science and technology campus - Scienceworks - opened in 1992. The building, on the banks of the Yarra River in the Melbourne suburb of Spotswood, was formerly a sewerage pumping station.
In 1999 the Melbourne Planetarium joined Scienceworks in Spotswood. The planetarium had previously been located at the Melbourne Museum/State Library site from 1965 to 1997.
The Spotswood site includes another Museums Victoria building, the Spotswood Storage Facility.
NATIONAL GALLERY OF VICTORIA
NGV INTERNATIONAL AND THE IAN POTTER CENTRE: NGV AUSTRALIA
Established in 1861, the National Gallery of Victoria was originally housed within the same building as the State Library of Victoria. The gallery moved to its St Kilda Road location in 1968.
By the middle of the 1990's the gallery needed additional space to house its growing collection. The St Kilda Road gallery was extensively renovated and reopened in 2003 as NGV International, the home to international artworks and exhibitions.
A second site, The Ian Potter Centre: NGV Australia opened in 2002 as a part of Federation Square. NGV Australia houses Australian art collections.
LOCATION OF THE AUSTRALIAN CENTRE FOR CONTEMPORARY ART, CHUNKY MOVE AND MALTHOUSE THEATRE STAGING WORKSHOP
The Ngargee precinct houses the Australian Centre for Contemporary Art, Chunky Move's headquarters and performance space, Malthouse Theatre's staging and set construction workshop and a large forecourt. It was named after a word of the local Boonerwrung people which means 'gathering for celebration in dance, story and song'.
STATE CIRCUS FACILITY - HOME OF CIRCUS OZ
A portion of the Old Collingwood TAFE site at 35 Johnston Street Collingwood has been developed as a state-owned arts facility purpose built to accommodate circus arts, including a new home for Circus Oz.
This is the first time in Circus Oz's history that they have been housed in a facility designed specifically to support their work and the development of contemporary circus and physical theatre. The $15 million redevelopment is now complete; Circus Oz moved in during February 2014.
ST MARTINS YOUTH ARTS CENTRE
The site of St Martins Youth Arts Centre, in South Yarra, Melbourne has a long history of arts activity. From 1900 to 1929 it was a cultural education centre for parishioners of St Chad's Chapel of Ease. The site was then a home to Melbourne Little Theatre who after extensive fundraising built the St Martins Theatre in 1956.
By 1977, spiralling production costs forced Melbourne Little Theatre to sell the site and it was purchased by the Victorian Government for redevelopment with the intention of establishing a youth arts centre. Youth theatre group, St Martins took up residence at the site in 1978 and the completed St Martins Youth Arts Centre was officially opened in 1982.
THE DRILL HALL
The Port Melbourne Drill Hall, built in 1912, was one of the first buildings constructed for the Royal Australian Navy. During the wars, the Drill Hall was a recruiting centre and in peacetime it was used for Navy Reserve training. It was decommissioned in 1942 when a new Navy base, HMAS Lonsdale was built.
In 1997, the Drill Hall was purchased by the Victorian Government as a home and training facility for Circus Oz.
THE STATE LIBRARY OF VICTORIA
Opening in 1854 as the Melbourne Public Library, the State Library of Victoria is Australia's oldest free public library. In fact, the library was among one of the first in the world to be entirely funded by Government with free public access.
The first library Board of Trustees held a competition to design the library building. Joseph Reed's design was judged the winner and Reed went on to design several landmark buildings around Victoria including the Melbourne Town Hall and the Royal Exhibition Building.
Originally holding 3846 volumes, today the Library holds over two million books and serials, hundreds of thousands of pictures, maps, manuscripts, artefacts and digital or multimedia items and one of the largest collections of newspapers in the country.
Creative Victoria is also responsible for the State Library of Victoria's Ballarat Storage Facility building.