Donations and sponsorship from individuals, foundations and businesses are vital to the planning and staging of events and broadening of collections for many arts organisations.
The arts play an important role in helping Victorian businesses expand into new markets and raise Victoria's profile and reputation as a place of innovation and diversity.
In 2014, 128 organisations that receive operational funding from Creative Victoria generated $51.2 million in private support representing 13% of total income.
- $18.3 million from donations (36% of private support)
- $15.5 million from philanthropic trusts (30% of private support)
- $9.1 million in cash sponsorships (18% of private support)
- $8.4 million of in-kind sponsorships (36% of private support)
- Total private support reported by the funded sector has increased 70%, from $30.2 million to $51.2 million
- Private support as a proportion of total income has increased from 10% of total income in 2010 to 13% in 2014
- There has been a small decline in sponsorship as a proportion of total income from 4.7% to 4.4%
- This has been matched by a strong increase in philanthropy from 1.6% to 3.9% of total income and donations from 4.0% to 4.6% of total income
Private Support, Key Organisations 2010-14
Donations (incl. fundraising)
The Festivals sector and Museums and Galleries sector rely on private support more than other sectors with 23% and 20% of each sectors total income derived from private support. Performing Arts Organisations source 12% of their income from private support.
Private support by Industry Sector, 2014
Amount of private support
Proportion of total income
Museums and Galleries
Performing Arts Organisations
Industry and Cultural Development Organisations
Performing Arts Centres
For more statistics on Key Organisations click here.
Australian Major Performing Arts Group (AMPAG)
The (AMPAG) report Tracking Changes in Corporate Sponsorship and Private Donations 2015 tracks the level of corporate sponsorship and private donations for the major performing arts sector from 2001 to 2014.
In 2014, AMPAG organisations reported $78.6 million generated through private support:
- 57.5% generated through private giving and fundraising, in 2001, private giving comprised only 28% of all private support
- 42.5% from corporate sponsorship, in 2001, corporate sponsorship comprised 72% of all private support
Victorian Major Performing Arts Organisations generated $20.2 million in sponsorship and private giving in 2014:
- 26% generated through sponsorship (compared to 42.5% Australia-wide)
- 74% generated through private giving and fundraising (compared to 57.5% Australia-wide)