Donations and sponsorship from individuals, foundations and businesses are vital to the planning and staging of events and broadening of collections for many arts organisations.
The arts play an important role in helping Victorian businesses expand into new markets and raise Victoria's profile and reputation as a place of innovation and diversity.
In 2015, 115 organisations that receive operational funding from Creative Victoria generated $49 million in private support representing 12.5% of total income.
- $17.3 million from donations (35% of private support)
- $11.2 million from philanthropic trusts (23% of private support)
- $11.5 million in cash sponsorships (24% of private support)
- $8.9 million of in-kind sponsorships (18% of private support)
- Total private support reported by the funded sector has increased 62%, from $30.2 million to $49 million
- Private support as a proportion of total income has increased from 10% of total income in 2010 to 12.5% in 2015
- There has been a small decline in sponsorship as a proportion of total income from 4.7% to 4.4%
- This has been matched by a strong increase in philanthropy from 1.6% to 3.9% of total income and donations from 4.0% to 4.6% of total income
Private Support, Key Organisations 2010-15
Donations (incl. fundraising)
The Festivals sector relies on private support more than other sectors with 21% of total income derived from private support.
Private support by Industry Sector, 2015
Amount of private support
Proportion of total income
Museums and Galleries
Performing Arts Organisations
Industry and Cultural Development Organisations
Performing Arts Centres
For more statistics on Key Organisations click here.
Australian Major Performing Arts Group (AMPAG)
The (AMPAG) report Tracking Changes in Corporate Sponsorship and Private Donations 2016 tracks the level of corporate sponsorship and private donations for the major performing arts sector from 2001 to 2015.
In 2015, AMPAG organisations reported $82.5 million generated through private support:
- In 2015, 57% of all private support was generated through private giving and fundraising. In 2001, private giving comprised only 28% of all private support
- In 2015, 43% of all private support was generated through corporate sponsorship. In 2001, corporate sponsorship comprised 72% of all private support
Victorian Major Performing Arts Organisations generated $18.9 million in sponsorship and private giving in 2015:
- 41% of this private support was generated through sponsorship (compared to 43% Australia-wide)
- 59% of this private support was generated through private giving and fundraising (compared to 57% Australia-wide)