55% of all Victorians aged 15 years or over attended at least one performing arts venue or event in the year 2013-14:
- 33% attend popular music concerts
- 17% attend theatre performances
- 16% attend musicals and operas
- 9% attend dance performances
- 9% attend classical music concerts
- 18% attend other performing arts (incl. physical theatre and circus arts)
In 2014, 19 local government run performing arts programs attracted audiences of 916,645.
In 2014-15, attendance at the Arts Centre Melbourne was 2.6 million.
Employment in the wider Performing Arts Sector (ABS, 2011 Census data*)
- In 2011, 7,717 Victorians were employed in the performing arts industry, as their main job, as artists, musicians or technical support workers.
(* source - 6273.0 - Employment in Culture, Australia, 2011)