Public Libraries in Victoria, 2014-15
Victoria has 346 library facilities:
- 272 branch libraries,
- 29 mobile libraries, and;
- 45 other library outlets (incl. self-serve, depots and collection vending machines)
Around 1 in 5 Victorians access a local library
- 1.1 million active library members
- 29 million library visits
- 47 million items borrowed (physical and electronic)
- an average of 43 items each
Library programs attract 1.8 million attendances across the state, to range of activities and events:
- rhyme time and story time,
- school holiday programs,
- book clubs,
- digital literacy training, and;
- cultural events.
These library outlets employed the full time equivalent of 1,778 staff.
Children's participation (Australian Bureau of Statistics, 2012*)
73.4% of children in Victoria, between the ages of 5 and 14 years old, read of pleasure in their spare time:
- Girls are more likely to read for pleasure with a higher participation rate of 78.5% compares to a participation rate of 68.5% for boys.
(* source - 4901.0 - Children's Participation in Cultural and Leisure Activities, Australia, Apr 2012)
Employment in the wider Literary Sector (Australian Bureau of Statistics, 2011 Census data**)
- In 2011, 6,559 Victorians were employed as Librarians or Archivists as their main job in a variety of industries.
- 6,631 Victorians were employed as writers or print media workers as their main job.
(** source - 6273.0 - Employment in Culture, Australia, 2011)