In 2015, 39 performing arts organisations received operational funding from Creative Victoria. These organisations reported on employment, volunteering, membership, income and expenditure and attendance and programming. 34 performing arts organisations are located in metropolitan Melbourne.
Creative Victoria provided $16.1 million to performing arts organisations, around 6% of total income.
Total turnover for all performing arts organisations was $257.1 million.
Every $1 provided by Creative Victoria leveraged a further $14.94 income to this sector.
Sources of income
- Earned income was the largest component of revenue at 54%.
- Creative Victoria funding was 6%.
- Other Government funding was 24% of total revenue (including Commonwealth, local and other State funding).
- Private support was 12% of total revenue.
- $6.4 million in cash sponsorship
- $5.0 million of in-kind sponsorship
- $11.5 million from donations
- $8.3 million from philanthropic trusts
Sources of income
- 65% of sector expenditure went towards production costs
- 13% on administration costs
- 15% on marketing costs
Marketing & promotion
Employment, volunteers and memberships
The sector employed 4,235 people
- Total employment was equivalent to 1,483 full time employees.
- 79% were employed on a casual or part time basis
1,630 volunteers provided 83,111 hours of service.
The sector reported 14,299 members/friends.
39 performing arts organisations reported total attendances of 1.8 million.
- 73% were from metropolitan Melbourne
- 9% from regional Victoria
- 8% from interstate
- 10% from overseas
Funding from Creative Victoria was equivalent to $9.06 per attendance.
Performing arts organisations presented 3,158 events:
- 971 productions
- 1,752 workshops
- 166 lectures, seminars and conferences
- 29 exhibitions
- 19 films
25 of the 39 funded performing arts organisations have collection or education material on-line.
36 of performing arts organisations offered programming for emerging artists.
36 offered youth participation programs recording 141,112 Victorian student attendances through 4,540 sessions.
A number of organisations offered targeted programming:
- 22 offered programming for children (up to 12 years)
- 35 offered programming for youth (12 to 25 years)
- 18 offered programming for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islanders
- 24 offered programming for people from culturally and linguistically diverse communities
- 22 offered programming for people with a disability
- 9 offered programming for women
- 10 offered programming for senior citizens
The sector reported 20 inbound tours and 150 outbound tours in Victoria, interstate and overseas.