In 2014, 34 museums and galleries received operational funding from Creative Victoria and reported on employment, volunteering, membership, income and expenditure and attendance and programming. 18 museums and galleries are located in regional Victoria.17 art galleries are owned and operated by Local Government Authorities.
- Download this page as a formatted PDF (PDF, 177KB)
- Download this page as a formatted word document (DOCX, 904KB)
Creative Victoria provided $6.3 million to museums and galleries, 15% of total income.
Total income for all museums and galleries was $43.1 million.
Every $1 provided by Creative Victoria leveraged a further $5.85 income to this sector.
Sources of income
- Earned income was 26% of total revenue.
- Creative Victoria funding was 15%
- Other Government funding was the largest component of revenue at 38% (including Commonwealth, local and other State funding).
- Private support was 20% of total revenue:
- $0.8 million in cash sponsorship
- $0.2 million in in-kind sponsorship
- $6.5 million from donations and fund raising
- $1.2 million from philanthropic trusts
Local Government provided 32% of the total income, around $13.6 million.
Sources of income
- 46% of sector expenditure went towards administration costs
- 29% on production costs
- 11% on marketing costs
Marketing & promotion
Employment, volunteers and memberships
The sector employed 498 people
- Total employment was equivalent to 276 full time employees.
- 70% were employed on a casual or part time basis.
1,879 volunteers provided 97,267 hours of service.
The sector reported 26,220 members/friends.
34 museums and galleries reported attendances of 3.3 million.
- 57% were from metropolitan Melbourne
- 24% from regional Victoria
- 12% from interstate
- 7% from overseas
Funding from Creative Victoria was equivalent to $1.92 per attendance.
Museums and galleries presented 3,327 events, including:
- 183 productions
- 644 exhibitions
- 50 films
- 470 lectures, seminars and conferences
- 1,276 workshops
30 museums and galleries have collection or education material on-line.
32 museums and galleries offered programming for emerging artists.
30 museums and galleries offered youth participation programs reporting 88,199 Victorian student attendances through 3,588 sessions.
A number of organisations offered targeted programming:
- 25 offered programming for children (up to 12 years)
- 26 offered programming for youth (12 to 25 years)
- 22 offered programming for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islanders
- 14 offered programming for people from culturally and linguistically diverse communities
- 20 offered programming for people with a disability
- 13 offered programming for women
- 21 offered programming for senior citizens
The sector reported 100 inbound tours and 39 outbound tours in Victoria, interstate and overseas.