20 April 2017
Do you have the vision to steer a major cultural event in regional Victoria? Expressions of interest are now sought from individuals, creative organisations and agencies who would like to be at the helm of the 2018 Regional Centre for Culture program.
Inspired by an EU 'Capital of Culture' initiative, the Regional Centre for Culture program will focus on a geographical area in Victoria, shining a spotlight on local culture and events. The program will also include specially commissioned artworks, activities and community-based projects by local artists as well as leading Victorian creative practitioners.
The inaugural Regional Centre for Culture in 2018 will be held in one of Victoria's key regional cultural hubs, encompassing the City of Greater Bendigo, Mount Alexander Shire, Central Goldfields Shire and Hepburn Shire and is one of the most significant arts and cultural programs to be established in regional Victoria.
The 2018 program will include:
- The premiere of newly commissioned works by a select number of Victorian arts companies and artists based on the local stories of the region.
- Large scale community and participatory arts projects across the region.
- The presentation of the biennial Artlands conference in Bendigo and surrounds (delivered by Regional Arts Victoria).
- Augmenting the profile of existing arts and cultural events across the region.
- The presentation of new projects by local artists and arts groups supported through a contestable grants program.
A producer is now sought to bring the inaugural program to life, and will be responsible for delivering the program between June 2017 and February 2019 (over a period of approximately 21 months).
Applicants may be an individual or groups of individuals who join together informally; a legally constituted organisation or group of organisations working together; a State-owned cultural agency; or an organisation receiving funding through Creative Victoria's Organisations Investment Program.
The successful applicant will be responsible for the development, management, delivery, communication, marketing and key stakeholder engagement. The Producer will disperse a significant proportion of the Regional Centre for Culture 2018 program budget, therefore applicants will need to prove appropriate capacity and experience in managing funds and engaging contractors.