Regional Centre for Culture is a year-long celebration of arts, culture and community in Victoria's regions.
Inspired by a European Union 'Capital of Culture' initiative, the Regional Centre for Culture program will focus on a specific geographical area, shining a spotlight on local creativity, culture and events. The program will also include specially commissioned artworks, activities and community-based
projects by local artists as well as leading Victorian creative practitioners.
The inaugural Regional Centre for Culture in 2018 will be held in one of Victoria's key regional cultural hubs, encompassing the City of Greater Bendigo, Mount Alexander Shire, Central Goldfields Shire and Hepburn Shire.
This area has been named the first Regional Centre for Culture because of its significant reputation in the arts, creativity and community expression.
The strength of the cultural offering in this region is derived from:
- Reflecting the rich cultural heritage and contemporary presence of Victoria's Aboriginal people, this designation recognises the Dja Dja Wurrung and the Taungurung as Traditional Owners and places these communities at its centre as First Peoples.
- The region's cities and towns which have developed and nurtured a strong and iconic cultural identity, reflected in the area's theatres, galleries, festivals and cultural life.
- The high number of artists developing work locally and collaborating with other artists and communities.
The Regional Centre for Culture is one of the most significant arts and cultural programs to be established in regional Victoria.
Key elements of the program will include:
- The premiere of newly commissioned works by Victorian arts companies and artists.
- The presentation of Artlands, Australia's biennial regional arts conference and associated programming, in Bendigo and surrounds, which is expected to attract more than 500 nationwide delegates.
- The boosting of key existing annual cultural events across the region, in terms of profile and programming.
- New public events in Castlemaine, Maryborough, Daylesford, Bendigo and surrounds.
- The presentation of new projects and events by local artists and arts groups supported through a contestable grants program.
- Large scale participatory arts projects across the region.
Regional Centre for Culture - Producer EOI
Expressions of interest for the Regional Centre for Culture producer have now closed.
Register your interest
Are you an artist or member of an arts group? Do you run a business or work for a community organisation in the designated Regional Centre for Culture 2018 area?
You can register your interest to participate in the Regional Centre for Culture 2018 program, to find out more about the program as it unfolds and hear the news first.
Read about the Regional Centre for Culture designation announcement
Rohini Sharma, Manager Regional Partnerships, 8683 3157, email@example.com,
If you are based in the designated region you may like to contact your local LGA Regional Centre for Culture representative: