ADAPT - The Arts Disability Action Plan Training Project
What is ADAPT?
Arts and Disability Action Plan Training (ADAPT) is an exciting and innovative approach to increasing the participation of people with disability in arts and cultural life in Victoria.
ADAPT is a result of the cross government partnership between Arts Victoria (Department of Premier and Cabinet) and the Office for Disability (Department of Human Services) and the Picture This Research which aims to increase access to the arts in Victoria for artists and audiences with disability.
Arts Victoria and the Office for Disability commissioned Arts Access Victoria, the State’s key arts and disability peak body which focuses on building the capacity of the arts and cultural sectors to deliver increased and improved opportunities for arts and cultural participation by people with disability to develop ADAPT.
ADAPT Project Objectives
- Pilot a new delivery model for Disability Action Plan (DAP) training that adopts a cross-government approach through partnering with another government agency to deliver training to a specific sector.
- Engage government and non-government agencies and relevant experts to develop arts specific content and deliver training based on the existing Office for Disability Disability Action Plan training modules.
- Build the capacity of the Victorian arts sector to be more inclusive and accessible by providing the skills and expertise to develop and implement Disability Action Plans.
- Increase opportunities for people with a disability as arts practitioners and audiences by developing strategies within Disability Action Plans that address barriers to participation.
- Provide a framework for recurrently-funded Victorian arts organisations to report on disability access annually as part of their service agreements with Arts Victoria.
- Contribute to the development (by Arts Victoria and Office for Disability) of a robust evaluation framework for this project that measures the impact of Disability Action Plans as a tool for change in the arts.
- Review and evaluate the efficacy of a Disability Action Plan training model tailored to the arts sector.
Arts Victoria and the Office for Disability have been working as successful cross government partners to address barriers and identify strategies for increasing access to the arts for artists and audiences across Victoria.
Use the navigation at the top right of this page to find your way around the ADAPT resource.
This material was developed by Arts Access Victoria for the ADAPT Project.